Follow our simple smartphone security tips to help keep unauthorised person/s from easily accessing your personal information
Smartphone security tips
- Apply a strong PIN - set a password, Personal Identification Number (PIN), passcode, gesture or fingerprint that must be entered to unlock the device. Don’t forget to put PINs on your SIM card, voicemail and also ensure the device is set to automatically lock. It’s the easiest and best defense plan so no one can get into it if it’s lost or stolen, or even left alone for a few minutes. Don’t share your Internet Banking PIN.
- Do not register other users biometrics and fingerprints on your device to avoid any one else gaining access to your device without you knowing
- Never store passwords on your smartphone - despite how cleverly you may think you've concealed them, criminals know what to look for and where. This includes not ticking "save password" on websites and applications that offer to remember your login details.
- Install smartphone security software just like with your PC at home and keep it up-to-date
- Download software and app updates regularly which will update your operating system and fix any bugs or system issues
- Avoid third party App stores. Only download apps from trusted sources such as Apple App store and Google Play store. This will assist in eliminating your risk of downloading a malicious app
- Never open attachments or download applications from untrusted sources. Navigate to the operating systems official storefront, instead of following links which can lead you to imposter pages
- Turn off hotspot, Wi-Fi™ and Bluetooth™ when not in use. These are the most common entry points for criminals
- Don’t use Internet Banking via unsecured and public Wi-Fi networks. Only use reputable Wi-Fi™ hotspots
- Take control of your permissions for things like contact lists, photos and email
- Don’t use the same PIN that you use for your card to access Internet Banking
- Ensure SMS codes are kept secret and secure
- If you lose your phone, block your SIM card immediately.