MyState has two different types of cards available to eligible customers: rediCard and Visa Debit Card. Learn more about which card best suits your needs.
Keeping your card and PIN safe
To keep your finances safe when using your card we advise:
- Never give your card to anyone else to use
- Store your card in a safe and secure place
- Do not disclose or write down your PIN
- Avoid setting your PIN to something that’s easy to guess
- Cover the key pad while entering your PIN
- Be aware of your surroundings and who is standing close-by when entering your PIN
- If a transaction is rejected, always ask for a receipt
- When purchasing goods online, make sure the website is secure and trusted
- If you cancel your card be sure to cut up the card and dispose of it safely to prevent misuse
All MyState Visa Debit Cards are issued with chip card technology. Chip card technology provides better security and control of your finances by storing you personal details including your name, card number and expiry date in the microchip in your card. The Visa chip has proven to be more effective in resisting credit card copying and skimming, which was a process used by criminals where they would copy the details from the magnetic strip on the back of the card and produce counterfeit cards.
Card Fraud is increasing in Australia and the method for conducting fraud changes frequently. We monitor your card 24hours a day, 7 days a week including all RediCard and Visa Debit card transactions, to detect suspicious activity, minimise losses and keep your money safe.
Flagging suspicious activity
We monitor card-based activity and check anything we think may be suspicious with your account. In some cases the system will halt suspicious payments before they reach your account.
We’ll contact you to verify suspicious transactions
If we notice a suspicious transaction on your account, we will contact you to verify it. This may be via phone or SMS to your mobile.
If you receive an SMS notifying you of a suspicious transaction please follow the instructions given in the message to contact us.
payWave is a feature currently offered as a part of our Visa Debit Card. The feature can only work when your card is within 4cm of the card reading device. Using the payWave function allows you to be in control of your card at all times.
All transactions completed by payWave are monitored in the same manner as all other transactions using your card.
Verified by Visa
All MyState Visa Debit Cards are automatically registered for Verified by Visa (VbV), a free service which allows you to use your Visa Debit Card more securely online with participating merchants – you don’t need to do anything special, just make your purchases as usual.
VbV provides additional security to both you and the merchant when engaging in transactions at participating merchants. Unless VbV detects a certain degree of risk with your transaction, you won’t even notice it working behind the scenes while shopping online and you won’t be interrupted on your way to the checkout.
Lost or stolen cards
If your card has been lost or stolen report it to us immediately by calling us:
During business hours: 138 001
Outside business hours, contact Lost/Stolen card hotline: 1800 648 027
If Overseas, contact Lost/Stolen card hotline: +61 2 8299 9101
When you are travelling overseas and planning to take your MyState card it is important to:
- Advise us of travel details (dates, destination, contact details)
- Take an additional card with you as a back-up; don’t take only your MyState card
- Keep your card secure and ensure it’s not easily accessible
- Make sure you are the only person who swipes or insert your card, for example at a restaurant
- Be wary of the ATMs and eftpos machines you’re using – if it appears to have been tampered with, or its appearance makes you feel suspicious, do not use it – instead, report it using the number on the machine.
If your card is lost, misused or stolen while you are travelling let us know immediately by phone:
During Australian business hours: MyState: +61 3 6233 0679
Outside business: Lost and Stolen Card Hotline: +61 2 8299 9101 – 24 hours, 7 days a week